Use this suggested script and checklist during your research session to help your participants set up their technology.
“I want to make sure your technology is ready to go for this session. Someone may have gone over a list of technical questions when you registered. I'm going to quickly run through those again just to make sure I have the right information.”
Device and browser
- Are you using a computer or mobile phone during our session today?
- Mac or Windows?
- iOS or Android?
- What browser are you using today?
If not joined by Zoom already
- Do you have Zoom installed?
If on Zoom but can’t share screen
- If on mobile, you can find instructions for helping participants on iPhone or Android share their screen
If assistive tech is being used
- Do you have a screen reader on this device?
- What kind of screen reader do you use?
- Are you wearing headphones today? If so, would it be possible for you to take them off and use your computer or mobile audio? I'm asking so that I can hear your screen reader during the session.
- How long have you been using it?
- Do you know your screen reader's speaking rate (verbosity setting)? High, medium, low?
- If high, be prepared to have them repeat anything that can't be heard or understood
- I may need to pause you at times and ask you what you're hearing if I can't make out what's being read.
- Are you using a screen magnifier today?
- Are there any other assistive technologies that you use?
*If the participant has low vision, they may require captions which needs to be turned on in advanced settings